Saturday, January 19, 2013

Soup's On: Chicken Tortilla Soup

When I had my first daughter, I was overwhelmed. I am thankful for all the friends and family who were patient with me, came to help me and listened to my emoting. I am not sure who gave me the stapled sheets of crock pot recipes. Whoever it was, thank you. They became invaluable to the family until I could get my head above water. I'll let you know when that is. It really hasn't happened yet.

On the top of the first sheet was a recipe for chicken taco meat. It involved taking 1 lb of chicken breasts, 1 package of taco seasoning and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, putting them in the crock pot and then shredding it several hours later. A few of the following recipes on the page used the chicken taco meat. I found 3 lbs of chicken yielded about 8 cups of chicken taco meat. I would, and still do, freeze the meat in 2 cup servings. It's great for dinner in a pinch. We almost always have rice or tortillas in the house. Chicken tacos is an easy go-to dinner for us.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

We also love the Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. Normally, we have it with chips, cheese and sour cream, but it's good on its own too. Super easy and super tasty. I've even put it in the crock pot if I'm well planned for the day. Sometimes we have forgotten if it was one can chicken broth and two cans diced tomatoes or vice-versa. It tastes good either way. The way below is preferred. I use regular diced tomatoes.

Utilizing the crock pot...
Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 cups of shredded chicken taco meat
1-2 cup frozen whole corn
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp Worcester sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 - 14.25 oz chicken broth
1 - 14/5 oz diced peeled tomatoes seasoned with Mexican spices (do not drain)
1 can tomato condensed soup




Put all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment