Thursday, February 9, 2012

We Love These Oatmeal Buttermilk Pancakes!

I've made these pancakes two days in a row so I thought they are worth posting. Today while eating the last pancake I realized I didn't add eggs. I was wondering why they didn't hold together so well. That didn't stop us from eating them all. Maybe the chocolate chips held it all together.



One of the reasons I like these pancakes is because it fills the kids up. Often with cereal or white flour pancakes the kids are hungry an hour later. I normally don't hear hunger complaints until 3 to 4 hours later, even for myself.

Kathleen Booher introduced me to these pancakes. She said they came from a Runner's World recipe called America's Healthiest Breakfast. I looked but couldn't find the original recipe to source. So thank you Kathleen and Runner's World for my full tummy.

The recipe for me is on a post-it note stuck to the cabinet next to my stove. See picture below.



I make half batches when it's just me and the girls. When I make them for all of us, I make the full batch. As far tweaking, I add vanilla regularly. Sometimes I add applesauce or shredded apple. I also have added blueberries, chocolate chips or made buttermilk from 2% milk and a teaspoon of lemon juice. For flour, I've used all whole wheat flour, but I've had to add more baking powder. Lately we've been experimenting with white whole wheat. I used it in part and in whole for the flour. I've also made them gluten-free substituting Jules gf flour for all the flour. I generally use buttermilk because I like they way it tastes better than mock-up buttermilk.

Oatmeal Buttermik Pancakes (Full Batch)

1 1/2 cup oatmeal
1 cup buttermilk

1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (I add a bit more)
4 eggs (or egg white equivalent)
1 1/2 cup lowfat milk
1 tsp vanilla

Soak oatmeal in buttermilk for 15 minutes. I know you are supposed to mix the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another, but that's another bowl to wash. I just add the dry ingredients, add in the soaked oatmeal and then the wet ingredients. Then I give it a good mix. Cook on a well greased skillet. It can stick. Lately, I've been using coconut oil. Smells fantastic.

Enjoy! Let me know how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. They are! That was quick; I just posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the original page from Runner's World cut out and pasted into my recipe book . . . but alas, there is no date on it! The actual title is "Oatmeal Pancakes with Wild Blueberry Sauce", but I couldn't find it online either. I'm glad I saved it!! :) Glad you like it too, my family loves it. (We have also substituted vanilla drinkable yogurt for the buttermilk in a pinch . . . delicious!)

    ReplyDelete