Friday, December 6, 2013

A weary mom's pep talk

Today I have been in a funk. I must have woken up under a dark cloud. I'm tired. Just tired. Tired of washing the same dishes, washing the same clothes, and cooking in general. I didn't want to be responsible. Being a mom and working seemed too much. The day felt long from the moment it started, and I was struggling.

So today I thought about the encouragement I wanted to hear. Here are a few things I heard.

  • It's okay to let the dishes wait. They'll be there when you are ready.
  • You don't have to make a gourmet meal. Simple still fills stomachs.
  • Take time for yourself. Don't feel guilty about a moment of sanity.
  • It's okay to close and even lock the bathroom door.
  • You don't have to do all the laundry today. Try for one load.
  • Your kids are only this age for a moment. Spontaneously hug them even though they are driving you crazy.
  • It's okay to sit down.
  • Change it up a bit. Change it up a lot if need be.
  • Turn up the music if you like this song. Dance maybe. 
  • It's okay to be good enough today.
  • Today is not a reflection of tomorrow.
  • Today may bend you, but it won't break you.
My day wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible. Partly cloudy when the forecast looked like rain. If you're a tired mom like me, I hope you find this encouraging. There are many many days we need it. There is hope on the drudgery days.

No comments:

Post a Comment