Sunday, January 15, 2012

When Plans Change...

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. - Proverbs 16:9

On Thursday when I opened up my email there was a message from the Polar Dash. The first real snowfall in Chicago had fallen, and as usual it takes everybody a few days to get in the swing of things. The message said that the Polar Dash was rescheduled for the following week. Oh? The conditions were worrisome enough that the Chicago Police didn't think it was safe to run the race. At least that's what the email said. The park district was gracious enough to allow the race to run the following week. And Team Ortho who sponsors the race took the brunt of the outrage.

I've never heard of a race that has been cancelled or rescheduled before the race. The Chicago Marathon was stopped mid run due to heat a few years ago. The year I skied the Korte there was not enough snow to do the whole route. It ended up being a fun race with no time taken. Normally people have specific start times but that year you could start almost whenever you wanted. The next week the snow fell like crazy. It didn't go as planned.


Plans change. Poop happens.


I admit I have control issues. As with most people, it comes out in some things but not others. My house is a mess but be very careful with my books. Certain rules have more strength than others. Certain tasks are more important than others. So selective are the things that make me feel like I have control. The truth is that it's a false sense of control. I have three children when I only planned for two. I would not trade her for the world.


I want to be the kind of person who is flexible. Who rolls with it. Whose emotions move quickly through the spectrum to settled and okay. And I hope I'm not alone when I say that sometimes I'm good at it and sometimes I suck at it. Graceful. That's where I want to be. I have been very grace filled in terms of Team Ortho. I understand and am rolling with it. I also don't have anything next weekend so I can still run. I didn't rent a hotel room or pay a high price for my entry. I think those things would make me less graceful. I'll keep praying for grace because inevitably situations will come along that get my knickers in a bunch. I want to be able to make lemonade from lemons.


So what did I do this weekend? I ran a half marathon distance with some of the ladies of the Grayslake Running Club. Six of us running down the street. Carrie ran with me for the first 4+ mile and Bobbi ran with me for the last mile or so. In between Carrie, Maria, Bobbi, Kate, Julie and I ran together. Sometimes we ran in twos, threes or single file. These are some of my favorite people to run with. They've kept me running regularly, pushed my pace and listened to my crap. We run at a similar pace, but I'm pretty sure they could all kick my butt if we were really racing. It was cold too don't get me wrong, but the run was a tall cold glass of refreshing lemonade.


I also spent the weekend watching football, hoping the house would clean itself and being sore. I look forward to next week. We have a ton on the calendar as well as my class starting. I'm retaking calculus, and my class starts next week. Overall, the week will be full. And there's a race next weekend!


'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.' - Jeremiah 29:11

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight. - Proverbs 3:5-6

1 comment:

  1. Grace - something I've gotten better at as I've gotten older, but I still struggle too.

    I loved being able to run the last bit with you!

    ReplyDelete