|It doesn't look like this, not even close.|
My friends, Bobbi and Kim, ran a 5k everyday in December. I thought that there was no way I could run everyday. (By the way, I ran 140 miles in December. I like underestimating myself. I keeps me pleasantly surprised.) The March running streak challenge had some promise for me. I only had to run a minimum of one mile. I've run a mile in jeans on my treadmill (dreadmill) a few times just to get my mile in. And I thought it would warm up as the month went on. (Ha. Ha.) My favorite running weather is 50's with a slight wind. It's supposed to hit 50 on Friday, and I am ecstatic. The bitter wind and cold has held on strong this month. The sun's presence and the temperature going just above freezing has caused some personal excitement.
Although I am not at the end of my streak, I've noticed a few things:
1) I can run everyday. The slow short milers have been great recovery. I am not going all out every run and keeping the next day in mind.
2) I will make time to keep the streak alive. Even at 10 pm I can squeeze in a mile. I am normally kicking myself for waiting so long in the day.
3) When I decide to do a short run, I almost always want to run more. I've gotten into a habit of running. My body enjoys it, and time slips away a bit. I feel better. All the things I love about running come out.
4) My treadmill may be my second choice, but it is sure nice to have an option to running outside on crappy days. My dreadmill has some programs on it, and I've had the chance to hike mountains and do intervals this month. I haven't done the programs in a long time. It was almost fun. Close but not quite. It is still a treadmill.
5) I have gotten faster. This I didn't expect. (Disclaimer: For me a 10 min/mile is fast.) Last week I managed to hold on to a 10:17 average for 8 miles. (I did get a quarter-sized blister but am refraining from posting the picture. You're welcome.) One of my runs had had a 9:58 average. Craziness. And then running again the next day. Sheer craziness.
I have almost put in 30 miles this week. My weekly mileage is up (which I expected with a daily run).The streak is alive, and I look forward to ending the month strong.
Who knows? I may just keep streaking.