Monday, November 21, 2011

The Giving of Thanks

I'm in the middle, in between Thanksgiving Day races. On Saturday I ran the Clear Water Outdoor's Turkey Trot 10K in Big Foot Beach State Park in Lake Geneva,WI. It was a trail race with rolling hills. I enjoyed the trees and the trails. I was thankful that the tree roots on the trail were painted white so we wouldn't trip on them. I was thankful for the weather, the wonderful company of the Grayslake Running Club (GCR) and the other runners who inspire me to run faster, specifically to the lady in brown who ran/walked the whole way and would sprint up the hills because she could.

On Thanksgiving day I will be running the Mayor's Turkey Day Run in Kenosha, WI. It's another 10K, but this one will be on the road. Yes, I am using it as an excuse to eat. Most likely, I would eat the same amount, but this at least means I get a workout in before I put on my elastic pants.

I've never done either of these Thanksgiving Day races before. I'll be honest. One of the reasons I'm doing these races is because they were cheap. However, one of the other reasons I am doing the Mayor's Turkey Day Run is because Jenny Crain holds the women's record for it. I first read Jenny's story in Runners' World. Jenny Crain is inspirational and reminds me to be thankful. Jenny Crain was an Olympic hopeful runner that was hit by a car. Today she struggles through physical therapy to walk and talk. I ran the Milwaukee Marathon this year along with the Jennipede. The Jennipede is now the largest number of runners to finish a marathon together, and the record was set to raise money for Jenny's therapy costs. She's an amazing fighter.

It can all change in an instant. I know that. There is so much to be thankful for right now; my family, my friends, my home, my health. The list is a long list. This Thanksgiving count your blessings or at least try.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! It's Kim (from the club)! I blog over at www.ilaxstudio.com/blog/ :)

    Jenny Crain's story is such a sad, but inspiring one. I was so excited to witness the Jennipede this year!

    Good luck at the 10K! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks again for running with me on Thursday! It was a great start to a great Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete